?

Log in

No account? Create an account
 

It is alive! - Random babblings of a fiber-obsessed nutcase

About It is alive!

Previous Entry It is alive! Feb. 25th, 2016 @ 04:41 pm Next Entry
Just a quickie:

I sewed up a pair of Bootstrap jeans for Herself....major FAIL. When I ordered the pattern, my iPad didn't pick up all the numbers, and the ankle had a circumference of 5". :sigh: Yuliya was great and re-did it at the correct 15". I reprinted the pattern, cut out the denim...and the waist is about 2" too small. Oh, and the fly? Is a separate piece and the instructions are very lacking. :sigh: So. I am debating on whether I need to buy a new jeans pattern (and redraft the fly so it's integrated like on my Bombacha pattern) or if I should just buy a block pattern and use it to redraft the jeans pattern I already have.

So. To prove to myself I could, in fact, sew - I sewed up a bag. Specifically, a carry bag for my Scottish wheel. I've needed one for...oh, 15 years now, and just never got around to it. Well...now I have. Only.....I erred the OTHER way on it - it's a wee bit big. :shrug: Still, it protects the wheel, it looks pretty good (if I do say so myself!), and I used all stash (except the zip - I didn't have any long zips. So...a total cost of $3.14 for a 36" zipper. :lol:) Pics will be forthcoming - I'm trying to decide if I need to make covers for the legs, or if I want to just dump them in there with the wheel itself.

The size isn't really an issue - I just overestimated how much would be taken up by the padded inner liner. I figure, I can dump all my other stuff in there with the wheel, and only have to tote 1 thing. It was kinda hard to get good measurements - the base is approx. 18" x 15", the wheel is 22" in diameter, but the axle adds 1.5" to the width of the base, the "body" is approx. 35" tall, and the legs are about 24" long. Plus, the footman (the piece that connects the wheel to the treadle) is 36" of hand-forged iron.....so I fudged on the dimensions.

My machine almost gave up when I tried to attach the bottom to the inner liner - I had 1 layer of polar fleece (to protect the wheel),and a layer of heavy muslin/poly quilt batting/heavy muslin that I quilted (using the decorative stitches; I decided to see what the machine could actually DO). I think the quilted layer was about at the limit of how thick my machine will sew....but it finally did it. Attaching the zip to the outer layer (plaid and denim) was....well, problematical - the entire bag was assembled at this point, and the zip goes all around the top in the gusset. It looks OK...but I could do better. Maybe next time - I have 2 more wheels that could use covers. Someday. :lol:

On the knitting front, Sock #1 is DONE and #2 is halfway down the leg. Again, photos will be forthcoming.

The IRS is still holding Himself's refund hostage - the left hand has no clue what the right hand is doing. :bangs head: I have spent more time on hold than any human needs to......ah well. We'll get it when we get it. :shrug:

I'm working on a project for a friend of mine, hence the radio silence. Hope y'all are doing well!

This entry was originally posted at http://fiberaddict.dreamwidth.org/863278.html. Please comment there using OpenID.
Current Location: sewing table
Current Mood: tiredtired
spin a yarn
Top of Page Powered by LiveJournal.com