Wow, it's been a month....let me fill you in on our doings:
No, wait - it's too much. Let me sum up:
1. Himself is.....well, Himself. He's started social skills training, and has had 1 meeting with the therapist assigned to him. That.....didn't go to well; he doesn't like her. She - get this! - has NEVER SEEN STAR WARS. This is an issue........:sigh: He starts with the medical side on it Tuesday.
2. Herself is OK. Stressed over her brother, of course. I'm trying to get her into the same program.
3. Me. Hanging in there. Over-booked, but it's for the kids, so I'm OK. I've made 10 batches of soap - so far. I finished my "Skywalker" socks (Mark Hamill breathed on them! :squee!: /fangirl ), started and finished a pair of Firefly-themed socks, and am halfway thru a pair of Shakespeare-themed ones. Why Shakespeare? Because....
3a. This weekend is Dallas Fan Days. Matt Smith (the 11th Doctor) was supposed to headline; Yawn. I was going, but not to see him - he and the Ponds RUINED Dr. Who for me. :shrug: However, he cancelled, and they brought in 10. David Tennant. Oh My GOSH! David-freaking-Tennant! Mr. Scottish Shakespearean actor!!!!!!!
3b. I ponied up extra $$$ to get a "Gold" pass for this con - after the Mark Hamill fiasco (HOURS in line!), I swore never-again. The Gold pass gets you in all 3 days (we only went 1x, so that was a waste), PLUS 5 line jumps. Meaning - NO long waits!
We got there yesterday at 9:30; the doors opened at 10. *I* could have gone on in, but wanted to wait with SG and Herself (we could honestly only afford 1 gold pass.) We went straight to the autograph floor, and found Tennant's line. Since we had a gold pass, we went straight to the front (along with about 50 of our newest best friends. :lol:) He was supposed to start signing at 10:30; at 10:20 he arrived to a loud, long, cheer and started signing.
By 10:40, we were done. He is a VERY lovely person - he was friendly, actually *looked* at each person in front of him, and made small talk with ALL of us. Herself made a "Tiny 10" for him - he was gobsmacked. Asked if it was Fimo (well, yes/no - it's actually Sculpey, but that's basically the same thing), then asked if it was really FOR him, to actually TAKE home (yup!), then said his kid(s) would LOVE it. :squee!: It was great! (and, honestly - worth every penny we paid!)
We spent a few more hours there, shopping and talking with folks. Himself stayed home (he was pre-alpha testing a game), but he had tentatively requested a light saber - IF I could find either Kylo Ren's or Vader's, and ONLY IF it wasn't "too expensive". "It's just going to, you know, sit on my shelf, so I don't want you to spend too much. I really don't want you to spend...anything...but.....I.....I wouldkindaliketohaveacoollightsaber. If that's OK....."
My baby (who never asks for anything, and refuses to let me spend money on him) actually ASKING for something? You KNOW Mama's going to do whatever she can to fulfill THAT wish, right? Right. He now has an Ultra Saber "Chosen One". :snerk: In a nickel-plated finish (because SG insisted, and paid for half of the saber, so....Sure!) He was totally thrilled when we got home - he actually LEFT his game to admire his new saber! (That's BIG. Really, really BIG.)
4. Slowly working on getting the house in order. The kitchen is DONE, the family room is almost done, the dining room is...well, done, but I need to get the donate pile out of there and to the donation center. The Game Room is a DISASTER, but that's not my problem - that is SG's room. He said HE was in charge of it....so *I* am leaving it alone.
5. I need to find a new calendar/schedule app. Preferably one I can have color-code appointments so I know at a glance WHO I am hauling someplace. Bonus points if it lets me also schedule chores. DOUBLE bonus points if it is "cross platform" - meaning I only need to buy it once, but can run it on my iPad, iPhone and, maybe, my MacBook. Off to the App Store I go!
Sorry it took a month.....but seriously, life is packed right now.This entry was originally posted at https://fiberaddict.dreamwidth.org/905405.html. Please comment there using OpenID.
Himself is doing OK-ish. Pretty stable - we've had 4 evaluations in the past 2 weeks. We have discovered that he, too, is on the Spectrum. :sigh: He's classified as "2E" - twice exceptional. His IQ is off the charts, which is all anyone ever noticed.
I had wondered a bit, over the years, but - insert Mom guilt here - was able to dismiss my thoughts because, compared to Herself, he was "normal"-ish. :bangs head: I have profusely apologized, and will continue to.
Part of his depression stems from this, we think. Not all - but some. He's a little better, just knowing.
The other "big" thing....we had a "life skills" assessment this week. Now, both the therapist and I figured he'd ace it.....um, not so much. Seems my "little engineer" really IS - he can't see the whole for all the itty-bitty parts. He gets hung up on the pieces, and can't finish the process. So.....they'll be scheduling some help, there, too.
Also - we found out he has low processing speed. Which just adds to the pressure he puts on himself......:sob:
Anyway. We are now waiting on some call-backs so we can move forward.
Me? I'm hanging in. I managed to knit 1.5 socks during the assessments, and have sewn a couple of portfolios to keep both kids' medically-related stuff in. (I had Herself's in a plastic one, but it disintegrated while in the POD. I can't find a replacement ANYWHERE, so....sewing machine to the rescue! I have 6 more cut out, because they will be PERFECT to hold my various knitting patterns....)
I had a scuffle with Zoey yesterday, and she managed to tear something in my left elbow. I think it's just scar tissue......my arm is bad enough that I CAN NOT KNIT. :horrors!: It's bad enough that Herself *volunteered* to milk for me tonight.....:sigh:
Oh! One thing we did that has helped Himself a bit - he's been wanting to upgrade his gaming PC for a while, so we went ahead and did just that. Today I ran him to Fry's and picked up a new monitor, keyboard and mouse. It's helped his outlook a little bit (yes, I KNOW that buying stuff won't make him non-depressed, but it has helped his mind get out of the rut it was in. No, it's not a cure, but I will take every little bit of help I can get for him.) Herself will get his old PC - she only wants a few games that they can play together, so she doesn't need the latest and greatest. He's got a new game coming up (Dual Universe - it looks AWESOME) that his old PC was almost not up to running.....so he's now in a slightly better frame of mind.
And one more thing - my identity got stolen back in January. (Or March....I can't be sure.) Seems someone went to Sprint and bought "a few" iPhone 7's and disappeared. I spent a few hours at the Sheriff's office filing a report, just so I could put a fraud alert on my credit reports, and get Sprint off my back. :big sigh: I have a feeling Equifax is involved..........
L'shana Tova!This entry was originally posted at http://fiberaddict.dreamwidth.org/905136.html. Please comment there using OpenID.
Sep. 4th, 2017 @ 11:38 am
Friday evening we ended up at the ER with Himself. He had a major mental breakdown......he's been diagnosed with severe depression and social anxiety. I have to start making calls tomorrow - he needs professional help. :sob:
Anyway - I'll be away more than usual, I think. He's OK right now.....but he's pretty fragile.This entry was originally posted at http://fiberaddict.dreamwidth.org/904755.html. Please comment there using OpenID.
Hope y'all had a good one! We hit Disney (we were customer #2
!) and Lego (didn't buy anything except a BB-8 keychain - I now have a pair of earrings!), then went to GameStop (picked up a few POP figures) and went grocery shopping. Where I bought SG a(nother) Propel drone; this one the X-Wing. Yes, I have one. No, it won't come out of the box - Mark Hamill signed it! :lol:
Decent day. :nods:
Came home to a dumpster and a crew removing the pile o'trash in front of the house, and a guy repairing the pool liner. :huzzah!:
Hope y'all's Shabbat is blessed!This entry was originally posted at http://fiberaddict.dreamwidth.org/904483.html. Please comment there using OpenID.
for now. :lol:
1. Attempted to do some embroidery today. Broke *5* needles, but ended up with an embroidered shirt front. It's PJ's......the design is a little lower than I wanted, but a) PJ's and b) practice. It'll do.....I need to embroider the pants legs then sew 'em up. I might share photos...we'll see. I need to work on tension and color choice.
2. Himself had a bit of a mental breakdown Friday. :sigh: He hated the psychologist we were seeing, so I am trying to find someone else. He and I had a long talk; things are sorta OK. He sees a psychiatrist 9/12. I told him I had never been a teen boy, so I wasn't sure how much was hormones/normal aging, and how much was mental disorder/whatever. :big sigh:
3. The 2nd bathroom medicine cabinet has been hung. FINALLY. We just need the baseboards, the cabinet installed, the trim all painted - and then the Master Bath will be DONE. (Then the Master Bedroom needs baseboards and trim painted, and the breakfast area/family room/hall/dining room/kids' hall/kids' bath needs baseboards. And the kitchen bar needs to be finished..the only *finished* room is the game/music room. :sigh:
4. Got a new board game - Star Wars: Rebellion. It's...pricey, but fun. I stink at strategy - even watching this year's History lectures isn't helping - but it's still fun.
Think that's all for now.......stay dry!This entry was originally posted at http://fiberaddict.dreamwidth.org/904283.html. Please comment there using OpenID.
|» Still here, still coughing up my lungs.....|
but I'm getting better! My throat doesn't hurt, and my ears are better. Probably because I'm taking SG's z-pack; he got it then decided he didn't need it. :sigh:|
Baby chicks are doing well! (or were, when I fed them tonight). Checklit is a bit peeved with the service here, but he/she'll get over it.
Last week, SG's phone went wonky. Said No Service, and when it found service, it'd drop it randomly. He did all sorts of things to fix it; ended up he went to Apple Saturday and came home with a brand-spanking new iPhone 6S+. :sigh: Yes, company had paid for his old one....but you know, he COULD have "downgraded" to the older model. :shakes head:
Anyway. He also came home with the old, broken internal antenna phone. Apple didn't want it. He tossed it in a drawer to be "recycled" (when he finally gets around to recycling all our old electronics).......I had a Thought.
"So. Can I use the phone as an iPod?"
"Huh. Yeah, don't see why not - it's got 64g. Plenty of room for all your music. Wanna try it?"
We had to install the SIM card long enough to reset it, but now I have a handy-dandy iPod. I still have my old iPhone 4 (see "time", above); we're going to reset it and let Herself have it for a new iPod - she's still using my 3rd-gen original iPod. :blink:
I mean, why NOT? They don't need the newest iOS, and we don't need them as phones. Mine has a crack in the screen - not bad enough to prevent using it as an iPod (but apps were hard to use with it); SG's has a broken internal antenna - but you don't NEED the antenna to play music! It's a good use of resources, if you ask me.
Oh! Early Tuesday AM Chloe met a skunk....and pissed it off. At 1 AM, she decided to come into the bedroom to let us know how rude the skunk was - I could smell her thru my nose. :UGH:
She got a bath. IF you should find yourself in the same situation, here's a recipe that WILL remove the stink:
1 cup Arm & Hammer Washing Soda
4 cups Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 cup Dawn dish soap (the original blue version)
Mix it all up, put on rubber gloves, and take the offending dog outside. Soak them with the water hose (if possible!), then work the mix into the coat. Let sit for a few minutes (I did it less than 5, because she was bouncing around to get away from me), then rinse, rinse, rinse.
She's clean and soft and NON-stinky now. I have warned her to NOT do this again.......but I am not taking any bets. She's called the "goofy Newfy" for a reason........:sigh: and :lol:
This entry was originally posted at http://fiberaddict.dreamwidth.org/903957.html. Please comment there using OpenID.
|» Update thingy...|
1. Herself is at FIL's this week. Fun times! :lol:|
2. Friday we had 3 chicks hatch. Mama bird accepted 2 and rejected 1. Chicklit is now in the house. A little ticked, but OK. :lol: The other 2 are - or were, this AM - OK. Mama seems like a good one....we'll see.
3. I am fighting a head-cold/allergies. I think it's a cold, because my ears are starting to ache. I'm pushing zinc and garlic. :sigh:
4. I am SO OVER the eclipse. Seriously - you can't call it a once-in-a-lifetime event, then tell me in the same breath that we'll see ANOTHER one in 2024. :bangs head: That's just 7 years away......I kinda think there will be a *few* people alive today that'll see the next one, yes? (Lord willing, of course.) Yes, we have approved glasses. I don't think I'll be watching it - I'll probably be in bed. (I'm that tired. I'm just barely keeping my eyes open right now.)
I had other things to post, but see #3 and #4 above. :lol:
This entry was originally posted at http://fiberaddict.dreamwidth.org/903858.html. Please comment there using OpenID.
Last week we had our septic tank pumped. We also found out we need a new tank....the old one is fiberglass, and is starting to collapse. :sigh: BUT! One of the guys has land, and has a brother with land, and they wanted goats.|
We just so happened to have some bucks that I wanted to sell.....
The brother came by Sunday evening. We agreed on selling 7 bucks (leaving us 4) and Leia, the .25 Cashmere/.75 Nubian. He came back yesterday with a trailer...and left with 7 bucks, Leia, and.....Inara.
See, Inara is a loverly doe. Sweet, gentle, and dumb as a post. She wakes up in a different world every. single. day. It takes me over 10 minutes to milk just her, because she won't come in, she won't settle to eat, and she won't stand still. :sigh: So....I was fed up.
SG talked me into it. I'm OK with it, except he asked WAY too little for her. :big sigh: Ah, well - such is life. At least the aggravation is gone. And so are 7 excess bucks!
I have downloaded and installed Embrilliance Essentials and Enthusiast. I have even printed the manual out. I haven't done anything else - yet. I finally got a color printer up and running, so I have print outs of the various designs I have (I kinda need that, so I know what color is #1/#2/etc. :lol:) I'm planning on getting out to the Studio tomorrow and playing around. :fingers crossed:
This entry was originally posted at http://fiberaddict.dreamwidth.org/903450.html. Please comment there using OpenID.
|» Good Morning!|
I'm supposed to be doing Morning Stables, but...it's raining. Heavily. So instead, I'm posting an entry. :lol:|
Haven't done anything on the embroidery machine - I am intimidated. Part of the problem is that it is NOT Mac-compatible. I don't think any machine is. :sigh: SG just bought me Embrilliance Essentials and Enthusiast, so I should be able to play with the files soon. Embrilliance....also intimidates me, but I'll play around with it this week and see what happens.
You need software, unfortunately - you can't SEE the designs, or manipulate them otherwise. And...you do need to be able to manipulate them. Windoze users have tons of options; Mac users have 2 that run natively; Stitchbuddy and Embrilliance. Stitchbuddy is cheaper (MUCH), but, unfortunately, is limited. I need to be able to split designs (Herself wants to do an embroidered jacket back, which is larger than my hoop. I need to split the design so I can stitch it. :sigh:) SB won't do that while Embrilliance WILL.
Ah, well - such is life.
I hope to be able to start playing around with it soon. I have the software, I have the thread....I just need to DO it. :lol:
H, thanks for Urban Threads........I am in BIG trouble. :rofl:
This entry was originally posted at http://fiberaddict.dreamwidth.org/903253.html. Please comment there using OpenID.
|» So. That happened....|
Um. Yeah. I kinda came into a little bit of money recently. Not a lot - not enough to pay off anything - but enough to DO something with, you know? I immediately tithed, then got the kids' Hannukah settled, then let the kids buy a little something.|
There was still a little left....so....um. I did something I said I wasn't gonna do - I bought an embroidery machine. :hangs head in shame:
I couldn't help it - Herself has been getting more and more into cosplay, and has a TON of ideas. I love embroidered peasant blouses.......and I HATE hand embroidering. (I'd rather knit!) I had been idly looking on CraigsList, then I went to Pattern Review to see what they said. I had decided on a Brother....then Tuesday we hit JoAnn's.
They don't carry Brother. They do, however, carry Singer. The lady was nice, and talked me thru everything the "basic" Singer does.....I did NOT buy a machine from JoAnn's. (They were too high for me.)
I went home, did some more research, then Googled. Walmart had the best price, and free shipping to the store.....so today we picked up a Singer EM 200. :gulp: ($200 LESS than JoAnn's, including a 3 year extended warranty.)
It's big. It's plastic. It's.....impressive. I am scared of it. :lol: I have done 1 motif - it wanted me to use 4 colors, I used 1 (I have thread on order. I only own 4 colors of machine embroidery thread, and I didn't want to use all 4 together.)......it's nice. Relatively easy - so far. :lol:
I have an Etsy cart FULL of downloadable pattern files. I.......am about to go down the rabbit hole. Oh, dear.....:lol:
This entry was originally posted at http://fiberaddict.dreamwidth.org/903139.html. Please comment there using OpenID.