Sister Sword of Desirable Mindfulness (fiberaddict) wrote,
Sister Sword of Desirable Mindfulness
fiberaddict

Spinning Experiments: Dog Hair

So, I've been playing with the Pyr hair I was gifted at NTIF. It's....interesting.

The fiber is mostly clippings; the butt end is, in some cases, slightly matted. I don't know if it came off the donor dog(s) that way, or if it matted when the rescue person washed it. It is clean-ish (it would have come cleaner if the fiber had been picked before washing, but since *I* didn't have to do it, I won't complain), smells OK (not doggy), but, because it is from more than 1 dog, it's all over the place quality-wise. Most of the fiber is 3" or so in length; it consists of both the downy, soft undercoat and the longer, coarser guard hairs.

The first skein was done at NTIF. I handcarded bits of fiber (on my 1/2 size Louet cotton handcards), then spun the rolags long draw on my Norwegian (I don't know the bobbin whorl size, since I had to keep switching them out). The resulting 2-ply is disappointing - the singles are overspun in spots, slightly underspun in others. Plying fixed some of the problems, but not all. I attribute this to a)I was demo-ing, and not able to get in the groove while spinning, and b)I think my lovely Norwegian is slightly *too* fast for this fiber. Soon as I get my flyer array back from Alden, I'll test that, but for the moment I'm running with it.

I thought about flicking next. I don't think this is a good idea - the fiber flies *everywhere*, and I was afraid that flicking would simply make a huge mess. Plus, I can't get a good rhythm with flick carded fluff; I spin 1, then have to stop, grab another, attach it, and start up again. I prefer continuous spinning.

Combing is out, mainly because of all the various lengths involved. I really don't want to spin guard hair only yarn.

So, I sat down at the drumcarder. I carded enough fiber to make 1 nice batt, then I doffed it, split it down the center, and ran it through again. 2 passes made a nice prep; no neps, no noils, all the fiber was pretty much aligned, and most of the (very little) icky stuff fell right out. It did a good job blending the 2 coats (and various dogs, too, for that matter).

I set up my Scottish wheel with the jumbo flyer array - not for the size of the bobbins (which are HUGE) - because it has the slowest ratios of my AA wheels (my Ashford is still on walkabout, or I would have tried it next. My AA is really above this sort of thing, y'know? *g*) I don't have the whorl size in front of me for the ratios, but it's quite a bit slower than the Norwegian. I set it for the least amount of draw-in, attached a bit to the leader, and off I went.

I effortlessly spun a nice, lace-weightish single. Long draw, for the most part. The single is pretty consistent; there are a few places where the "2nd cuts" hang out, but not many (I would have to pick them out of the batt before spinning if I wanted perfectly even yarn - too much effort!). The guard hairs make a nice halo. The batt held together nicely, and spun pretty much effortlessly.

The fiber *does* shed, however. I'll need to wear an apron the next time I sit down to spin. It appears that only the guard hairs are shedding - but I didn't really take the time to scrutinize my clothes after I finished the batt. *g*

I'll probably sit down tonight and card up some more batts....spin them tomorrow or Sunday. It went pretty fast - I ran thru that batt in about 20 minutes or so. Besides, the faster I tear thru the Pyr fluff, the faster I can get to spinning the batts I got from moderngypsy off of her etsy site. *g*
Tags: coe, fiber experiments, spinning
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

    Error

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 0 comments