August 11th, 2015

me: portrait

It's RAINING!!!!!!

We needed it - we've had none since May. Which, of course, was solid rain - but hey! We are no longer in a drought! And it's raining now! And it dropped the temp down to 91*!

Been working on Herself's blasted dress. I HATE this dress. (Simplicity 1194, if you're interested.) First up, I screwed up - I read that it needed 4 yards of fabric, so that's what we bought. Only......I missed that it wanted *60"* fabric. We bought 45". :sigh: (OK, it's closer to 40". Whatever....) So we were already short on fabric.

No biggie - I decided to do a gathered dirndl skirt instead of the 6-gore skirt the pattern called for. Cool, right? I cut 3 panels (because she wants it FULL and Swirly!), tried to gather it over a cord (that.....didn't work so well.) - ended up running 2 lines of basting stitches and pulling up the bobbin thread. Seamed them together, then started pinning them to the bodice...and it's too bloody long. :sigh: OK. That was easy enough to fix - I marked the panel and chopped it shorter, then serged the raw edge.

Problem: my machine apparently does NOT like sewing over gathers. :bangs head: After a lot of colorful vocabulary, I got it done.......and it actually looks *good*. :whew!:

Long story short: Dress is currently hanging so the hem can fall before I sew it in. I managed to sew in an almost invisible zipper (that's HUGE! The only zippers I have are 9" in blue, black, red, or gray. None of which are colors in the dress. So - gray it was. And *you can barely see it*!!!!!), AND I managed to line the bodice AFTER it was sewn to the skirt (which is what the instructions called for. Weird. *I* would have lined the bodice, THEN attached the skirt.)

I will NEVER sew this pattern up again. If she wants another one, she can do it herself. :nods: Or......I'll use the ruffler attachment and let the machine ruffle and sew at the same time. (But don't tell her that. She's already looking at another pattern for her dragon fabric.)

I traced off a bra pattern last night, and I'm going to do a mock-up in muslin to make sure it fits. (I'll cut it on the bias, so it stretches. It what they did before lycra and spandex became popular.) I bought a couple of kits from Bella Bravo (CHEAP! She sells fabric kits for $17, and it looks like, if I'm careful, I can get 2 bras out of it. Might need to buy more sliders and hooks and eyes, but fabric-wise it looks do-able. I paid an extra $3 for 1 yard of lace - which is WAY more than I need. So, $20 for a large-cup bra. Maybe 2. That's.....that's almost unbelievable!), but don't want to cut into the fabric until I know I chose the right size. Yes, I'll share photos - on Cat, not me. :lol:

I need to make some tops and more dresses, but I have time. And each project helps me get a little bit better. It's a good feeling.

This entry was originally posted at Please comment there using OpenID.