On the one hand - great. I've already started Herself on the cycle - 3 shots over a period of 6 months. I'm lucky - I can afford to pick up the cost ($360) if my insurance balks (it'll hurt, but I can do it - so far, they haven't squawked, but it's early yet.) My doc and I discussed it when it first came available - he has studied it, weighed the pros and cons, and decided that he would highly recommend it to all his female patients. Since he doesn't have a record of jumping on a bandwagon for no good reason, I felt good about signing Herself up for it.
On the other hand - Horrid! What about all those folks who simply can't afford the cost? Or the time off to take their girl-children to the doc for a series of 3 shots? What right does the government have in telling me I need to add another 3 shots to my child's record?
And, the cynical side of me wonders how much of a kick-back the state is getting from this.....
Yes, I think it's an important shot. Yes, I had already decided to get the series for Herself. But here's the thing - I had a chance to decided FOR MYSELF that this was a Good Thing. Gut-instinct was "HELL Yeah, let's do it!", but I asked the doc for his opinion - I figured he knew more about it then me (I was right - he's been following it since he first heard about it. I trust him. A Lot)
I guess I'd feel better about the legislation if I knew that he was making it mandatory for the Insurance companies to pick it up - and was setting up a way to subsidize it for the folks who don't HAVE insurance. (And, I don't know if the TX CHiP program - state funded, low-cost child health insurance - will cover this. That hasn't been mentioned yet, as far as I know.)
Oh, and one more thing - it hasn't been around long enough to know the long-term effects...should it really be mandatory when we don't really *know*? I'm willing to do it - if it protects even 50% of the females against cervical cancer, then let's give my daughter the benefit of the odds. But not everyone feels that way. I had a brush with cervical cancer when I was carrying her - it turned out to be a false alarm, but those were the hardest 4 months of my life, not knowing if I was going to be able to carry her to term, or if I'd have to risk her life to save mine. (My ob said his responsibility was MY life, no ifs, ands or buts. THAT was comforting....Not.) I'd rather give her the chance to never have to make that decision...but that's Me. And my daughter. Not yours.
What a legal muddle this is!