Let's see...how about a numbered list? That'll keep me organized:
1. Ft. Hood: Horrible. I predicted yesterday, when NPR gave the alleged gunman's name, that they would spin it so Muslims were accused. As of this morning, that prediction is correct. Yes, his name and religion are Muslim. That does NOT mean he was part of a terrorist cell...but the way the media is spinning it, that's the conclusion *most* people will draw. And...it's just in time for the Nov. 8/9 date pinged by the web bots. (Look, our current pres. has a Muslim name. Does that make him a terrorist? *I* do not say that...but others do. I look at the spin the media puts on things, and I draw my own conclusions. Do the same.)
2. Sky: OK...weird sightings this morning. About 6:15, when the sun was rising and the sky was that lovely blue/purple/gray color, I saw what I *thought* was a shooting star. BUT...I've *never* seen one that flares blue/green/white and then snuffs out. The ones I've seen, IF they flare, flare white.....this one looked like a small explosion. I have NO clue what I saw - it was too fast for me to grab my phone and snap a picture.
THEN, as I was scanning the sky to see if this was an isolated incident, I saw a.....star? Something star-like, but it didn't twinkle, and it was *bright*, even in the sunrise. It was in the same quadrant as the shooting "star", but.....I could see it even AFTER the sun passed that point in the sky. Stars usually are faded by then - this was just as bright...it looked like a hole in the sky. Weird.
3. Discussions: Sweet Geek and I had a minor argument last night. About goat ear tags, of all things. *I* do not condone gov't interference in my personal life (well, no more than is already there - you can't escape a lot). *He* has no problem with it. Anyway...you don't need to tag your animals if a)they are under 18 months b) you don't intend to show, or c) they are destined for freezer camp. Well, OK then - the only reason *I* wanted to tag was to quickly ID the bucks and does - green tags for boys, yellow for girls.
HE wants to show. Which means we'd have to register our flock with the gov't, and get a premisis number. Ummm....NO. Just - NO. We are NOT going to be breeders, we are NOT planning on selling any kids - therefore, we really don't need to show, right? He got upset, because "showing would be good for the kids, and fun."
Let's see...I used to show horses. I had a breeding-quality stallion (still have him, in fact - Dusty is AWESOME :ahem:), and, back in the dark ages, planned on standing him to make money (in my defense, this was in the late 80's and early '90's, when the Arabian market was booming. It was not unheard of for someone to pay a $75K stud fee. Or $300K for an unborn foal. No, I'm not kidding - those are actual prices. Dusty's grandsire was standing for $60K/mare...with NO live-foal guarantee. InSaNe. Anyway...) I *needed* to show him to give him - and me - exposure to the mare owners out there. (I NEVER expected to make the big $$$...I had a planned stud fee of $2K. Even then, I wasn't nuts. Well, not too nuts.) A typical show, for me, was *1* class - halter. A beauty pageant, basically. I forked out at least $100 per show - for *1* class. You had a $50 stall fee, a $5 judging fee, a $10 non-member fee (I never joined the American Horse Show Assoc, because that was another $100/year.....sorry, but I only did maybe 6 shows a year. Wasn't worth it.), a $15 bedding fee, a $20 class premium....and sometimes there were other fees tacked on, as well. Some shows charged you for feed - even if you brought your own.
So....I don't know what it costs to show goats...but I'm betting the class fee and stall fee are the same. The bedding fee was standard - EVERY show I went to (and we traveled, and I got premium books for shows we didn't go to) had it. So..you're at $85. For FUN. Plus the hassle of having the state involved with *my* animals.
Look, I don't mistreat my critters. Mistreated animals won't produce for you - milk/eggs/pleasure. I DON'T need someone coming in and telling me that my facilities aren't good enough, so they need to take my animals away (and yes, that has happened. I happened recently to a friend of mine. Fortunately, he got assigned a good judge, who knew harrasment when he saw it. My friend got almost ALL of his animals back, but he still had to pay court costs and fines. He just didn't have to cough up the "care" fees the SPCA slapped him with. He'll also never get the 3 days he spent in jail back....all because someone wanted to force him to sell his property. INSANE.) Please don't tell me that I would have nothing to worry about if I do nothing wrong...because that just isn't true. If I invite the gov't into my business, then they have the right to do whatever they want - hit me with higher taxes (after all, I have a *flock*, therefore, I *must* be doing this as a business!), fees (you have to buy *their* tags, which are more expensive than the standerd ID tags, plus you pay for the surprise inspections. Isn't that Nice of them?) and....No. I don't need that.
Our "discussion" devolved into how the FDA has "helped" people....HIS view, not mine. I....never mind. It's not worth rehashing the arguement. We finally just dropped it - after he told me he's afraid I am "running with the wrong crowd and might get mislead by my blogging friends". :snicker: No, I am aware of what's going on...and you, my dear, are not. But I didn't SAY that, because I am not a stupid wife.
4. Which comes back to #1. Last night, I told him that I don't read/listen to US news sources, because they don't report on important stuff, and they spin it the way the gov't wants. He denied it. That's when I told him to watch the Ft. Hood story, and see how they spun it. I predicted that they would focus on the Muslim part, and totally ignore anything else. He rejected that idea......and then this morning, boom - there it was. "He is an American by birth, and Muslim by religion".....HeLLO, see what they did there? They *implied*, but carefully did NOT say, that his family isn't American for more than 1 generation. They didn't say "His family is American - they immigratedf 50 years ago" or whatever, they said "HE" is American by birth. Small detail, yes - and most sheeple won't even notice it. (And no, I'm not nit-picking. I'm watching the spin.....it's going the way I predicted it would, and that's sad. No mention has been made of the other 2 that are in custody - except that there are 2 more people in custody. They released the gunman's name....and, BTW, they said this morning LIVE from Ft. Hood that the gunman is NOT dead, he's on life support. Last night he was reported dead...so I'm watching that, to....anyway, why haven't they ID'd the other 2? It's interesting...)
5. The 103 page check is still kicking my butt. I have the check itself coded and balanced...but I can't get my spreadsheet to balance. :bangs head: Need to get cracking on that....