Sister Sword of Desirable Mindfulness (fiberaddict) wrote,
Sister Sword of Desirable Mindfulness
fiberaddict

Well, today was......

not as productive as I wanted it to be, yet it was busy. Dropped the kids at school around 7:45, then headed out. First stop: Vet.

Vet visit went well - we yakked a bit. He's the only Real large animal vet in the area - everybody else is switching over to house pets. :sigh: I can see it - most horse people are like me - not wanting to spend a $35 house call for routine stuff. I even do most of the non-routine stuff, because vet visits are Expensive. (I didn't even call him when my filly, Erynne, sliced her leg open a few years ago. I was able to fix it myself......granted, she may not have scarred quite as much if he'd come out, but a) there wasn't enough skin left to suture b) I had the enzyme spray he'd have used, and c) it was the wrong time of the month to be able to afford him. :sigh:) He was impressed with my Goat Medicine book :lol: and told me he'd call if he needed any milk - it's better for orphans than cows milk.

I then headed to a new-to-me soap supply store. :snerk: I WON'T be going back; the salesman was slightly rude, the website has molds listed but they haven't carried them in almost a year, and the selection was very very sparse. (But the website says they have a lot.....nope.) They did have Tallow...but only in the 14 pound tubs. I...want to use tallow (instead of lard), but I want to try it first - not make a huge investment! :sigh:

I managed to glue the PVC soap mold together - it took forever to get the blasted cement and primer bottles open, but I managed. We'll see how it works - it's got a batch in it right now.

Oh - if you make a PVC mold like the one I showed you, don't expect to get 2 pounds of soap. No, not 2.....not 3.....it looks like a 2', 3" circ PVC pipe will hold at least 4 pounds of soap. :sigh: I made 2 pounds of shaving soap today....and the mold is maybe half full.

And, speaking of...I've NEVER had a batch of soap hit trace the minute the lye mixture hits the oils. NEVER. I don't know if it was the Palm Kernel Oil, or the odd lye I used (the lye came with my soap kit....I've decided the ONLY thing good about that kit was the mold. And maybe the fragrance oil - but I haven't tried it yet. :sigh:) This lye was flaked, not powdered, and it turned my goats milk a very dark, dark tan. The soap didn't burn when it spilled on Himself (he was holding the mold up for me so I could pour) - thankfully! - so it should be OK. We'll see......

Gave Calvin and Inara their CD-T shots today. They get the booster in 21 days. Tomorrow I'll be worming them with Valbazan (tape worm).....once we dry off the milkers, everyone will get dosed with Ivermectin + (everything else). Goats are sure more complicated than horses!

I took photos today...I have a post planned, thanks to a comment Ali made a while back. :grin: We'll see if I get around to uploading the photos....

Picked up the kids from school.....and we've been on the go ever since.
Tags: blather, goats, soap
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

    Error

    default userpic

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 0 comments