Sister Sword of Desirable Mindfulness (fiberaddict) wrote,
Sister Sword of Desirable Mindfulness

Hot, hot, hot...

Still. The rain helped, but it's still dry and hot and icky. :sigh:

Yesterday was spent running around. Went back to the homebrew store - SG is now making hard apple cider, hard grape/peach...cider?, and hard black cherry/concord grape...cider. The beer has been transferred to the secondary.....jug and will be bottled next weekend. (It tasted like a weak, flat beer, so...I guess that's good? :grin:)

Sewing: Oh my gosh, I figured out what the stupid instructions meant! I made a sleeveless version yesterday, and I decided to ignore the written instructions, and go by the pictures. I have - here, look:

Sleeveless blouse

The collar is PERFECT - no wrinkles, no weird wonky-ness; the only problem is the inside neck seams - they have the body raw edges still showing. :bangs head:

The pictures clearly show that you sew the interfaced band (I didn't use interfacing) to the collar right-sides facing, with the WRONG side of the body facing you. You don't flip the collar so that it's upside-down (so that you can then flip it, hiding the seam inside when you're done), which is almost impossible anyway thanks to the pretty-but-funky curves the neckline has going on. No, you sew it flat, with the collar over the neckline. Then you sew the band on, right sides together, flip it, iron the crap out of the band (and turning under the raw edge of the band as you do so), then sew it down on the right side.

I did all that - and, like I say, the collar is perfect except for the inside neck edge. So - today I will do blouse #4 (and the last one from this pattern for the moment - I found one from McCall's that has the same "look", but a) no funky-but-pretty curves to deal with and b) MUCH better instructions. :lol: It's also tunic-length, which is what I wanted to begin with). I'm going to use Hearth's (and my mother's) instructions (sorta) - I will sew the 2 collars together, press under both raw edges, then sandwich the neckline and sew it down in 1 easy pass. The only drawback to this is the amount of pins I have to use - yesterday, the blouse looked like a porcupine! :lol: (Actually, there are 2 drawbacks to this - trying to catch both sides of the collar while sewing......I might have to breakdown and hand-sew it on first, which I am trying to get away from. :ponders:)

I'm also pondering if #4 will be sleeveless or not - I have white bias tape for the underams, but the collar is aqua-y blue. I need to see how that looks...I have enough fabric for sleeves if I decide to go that route. (The main fabric is a pale sorta-aqua blue and white check. I got it from the Nursery's light, it's breezy, it's just that I don't have enough white fabric to do a collar. :sigh:)

I did go back and zig-zag the raw edges (to help prevent ravelling)....but I don't like how it looks. The inside of a hand-sewn garment should look as nice as the outside (IMO - why else have hand-made clothes?)...and this doesn't. I guess I need to dig out the seger and get it cleaned up and running.....or see what other attachments my White has and try them out.

Ah, well - the upshot is that I have 3 new tops to wear (soon to be 4!), and they weren't that expensive. #3 here was made completely from stash fabrics, so it only cost me time and thread. (The collar was from the remnants of blouse #2 - gotta love that!)

Gotta go milk......goats don't wait!

Oh - for some reason, the dogs (Kenzie) have decided that the sofa tastes wonderful. So far, she's eaten 2 cushions (seriously, hole in the fabric and half the stuffing out) and 2 slipcovers. :sigh: SG is FINALLY upset with her - we can't afford a new sofa, and can't buy one anyway until we know she's over the puppy stage. So.....I shoved the destroyed stuffing back in the cushions and duct-taped 'em shut (shut up, what else could I do?), then duct-taped the hole in the BRAND NEW slipcover. (Yes, brand-new. She had destroyed the old one that was on the couch (thank the Lord it was the one-piece, and not one of my nice separate-seat ones!) so we ran out to Big Lots and bought an inexpensive (for slipcovers) new set. It lasted 36 hours.......) I don't know what to do with her......
Tags: blather, sewing

  • Just FYI

    So, the FDA has approved Pfizer’s Comirnaty vaccine. This is NOT the one currently being administered (that one is Biotech), but it doesn’t matter.…

  • July Update

    I seem to be on a once-a-month update schedule here.......:shrug: Works for me. We got quite a bit done this month - mostly sewing. I have filled…

  • June Recap and Photo catch-up

    Because I've been a busy little Fiberaddict. :lol: I can't remember when I actually sewed up some of these, so I'll just post them. I do remember the…

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.