?

Log in

No account? Create an account
 

Pictures! - Random babblings of a fiber-obsessed nutcase

About Pictures!

Previous Entry Pictures! Jan. 4th, 2012 @ 09:46 am Next Entry
The fumes are getting to me...so I decided to go ahead and post photos! The kitchen is nowhere near done - we still have tile work and cabinets to refinish - but the counters are at the sealing stage. So....

I had this house built in 2003. I had ordered slate-gray counters....this is what I got:



Closeup:



I like green...but it wasn't what I had in mind. When I bought the paint for the kitchen, I didn't even consider the counters...so I ended up with a 70's vibe in there. Ah, well - it was OK. But the green bugged me....I finally got the push to do something about it. Paint's cheap...so, here we go:

First up, remove the laminate from the wall. We were going to tile over it, but decided it was too easy to pull off, so...we had a party.



The darker areas are where there was more glue - it was harder to remove those areas. Ah, well...you can see some of the drywall was damaged; we'll be fixing that before we start the tiling.

Before you can do any sort of painting, you need to clear and clean the counters. I used a 50/50 vinegar/water mix, and scrubbed them down really well. Then I rolled on 2 coats of Oil-based Kilz.



What a difference that made! We jokingly talked about stopping here, but...I can't stand white walls. White counters would have driven me batty!

I started with 2 base colors. You could do 1 if you wanted - I wanted a subtle depth. Both colors are close in shade, so neither one stands out. The rag is harem cloth - you can use cheesecloth, old t-shirts, or even paper towels. You can even use sponges - well, you'll see. :grin: Oh - make sure your rag/sponge is damp before you start - it'll soften the colors. (Or, you don't have to - I was going for more delicate-looking effects; you might have a different idea in mind.)



Here's how I "prepped" the paint - I used a small plastic plate as my palette.



I did the same thing (on a new plate) for each "layer" of paint. Some layers had 2 colors, some had more; I used glaze on most of the later layers (it "thins" the paint, and makes it more subtle. Sorta...float-y. I like the end result - you may not. The glaze is optional. :grin:)

I couldn't get a good shot of the first layer of paint - my camera read the yellows as white. It looked like delicate sandstone - the colors floated over the white. Rag painting makes a soft "smush" of color - and, unfortunately for my camera, the 2 colors I used were too close to the white primer. There were still blotches of white showing (which I wanted), and....well, take my word for it - it looked like sandstone. Pale sandstone.

Here's the 2nd layer prepped:



The cloudy paint is the glaze. I just squirted it on, and the sponge mixed it as I picked up more paint. Sponges make a more definite "shape" when you paint than rags do - you may like it better. I don't - but real rock isn't consistent in texture/color, and that's what I was going for.

Here's what it looked like after the 2nd round of painting:



Basically, I kept doing the same thing - I'd let the paint dry, grab a new plate, decide which colors I was going to use, and sponge or rag them on. I took photos..but really, how many photos of basically the same thing do you need? :lol:

Anyway - it took maybe 2 hours to do the whole thing. I let everything dry overnight, then this AM I started the polycrylic. THIS is what it looks like after the 2nd coat of poly:



Closeup:



We had decided up front that I wouldn't try for REAL rock; I was going for rock-ish. Just rocky enough to fool the brain into thinking "real". I think I succeeded - I am insanely happy every time I glance at the kitchen. We'll see if I stay that way; right now? This is what I wanted. :grin:

I'll post pictures after we finish the tile and the cabinets...but it'll take a bit. Tonight SG has to cut the wood for the "rock" backsplash, and I have to paint and poly-coat them. Tomorrow, he'll repair the drywall, and rip out the laminate on the other side of the kitchen (yes, I've already painted that side. The multi-tool we have cuts with minimal damage, and the wood will cover up any oops-es), and Friday - Lord willing! - he'll start cutting the first row of tile so we can start on that. I'm hoping that next week we can start on the cabinets.....

This entry was originally posted at http://fiberaddict.dreamwidth.org/646622.html. Please comment there using OpenID.
Current Location: command center
Current Mood: happyhappy
spin a yarn
Top of Page Powered by LiveJournal.com