1. Today I am a cheesemaker. We had 6 gallons of milk in the fridge, NO more bottles, and a 1/2 gallon in the tote from this morning's milking. SG has been telling me for 2 weeks now that he needs to make cheese.....but I couldn't wait any longer. So.....I got to make Manchego.
I don't LIKE making cheese; it's too fiddly for my tastes. Not hard, but you have to heat the milk to 82*, add the starters, hold at 82* for 30 minutes, add the rennet, hold at 82* for 30 minutes, cut the curds, let set for 5 minutes, whisk the curds for 30 minutes, then heat the whole shebang up to 104*, taking about 45 minutes. Or - that's what the recipe says. Me? I figure, my ancestors didn't worry so much about exact temps, so I don't either. (Yes, this drives SG nuts. It SAYS 82*, so therefore he scurries around shifting the large pot (needs to be large enough to hold 2 gallons of milk) around trying to keep it at EXACTLY 82*. Me? I put the cheese pot inside an even larger pot, fill the bottom pot with water, and treat it like a double boiler. If it gets hotter than I feel comfortable with, I drop in ice cubes. For the record, it got up to 96*, and guess what? I am currently pressing a nice lump of Manchego. :lol:) Anyway - too fiddly.
2. Tomorrow, I will make Whey Cool soap - I have probably 1.5 gallons of whey I need to use up, and soap is easy. Not as fiddly as cheese; I just have to be super careful when I weigh everything out. I just have to make sure I have all the oils - and I need to find my "master book". :sigh: It's in the studio...somewhere. :lol:
3. Coyotes were up near the house last night. :sigh: SG is looking for a rifle - he wants something like an AK. Me? I just want something that'll kill coyotes, that doesn't weigh a ton (my wrist won't handle heavy), and won't cost us an arm and a leg. He's looking at .223......whatever. Just get me something I can use to protect my livestock, KWIM?
4. Still pondering the school schedule during this Season. RH and YK are, of course, holidays...but what about the 10 Days of Awe? And the 5 intermediate days between YK and Sukkot (of course, this depends on IF we're here.....:wink:)......Herself really can't go that long without Math - she'll lose what she's got. :sigh: Maybe Khan Academy videos only? We'll see....should we be here, of course. :lol:
5. Seems I'm not the only one fixing up the house......oddness abounds. Not sure exactly what this means, but........that's OK. I don't have to know, I just have to do, right? Right. (And I'm LOVING my rug! I really, really, really need to get photos up - I've always loved this house, but right now? I LOVE it. It makes me feel like I'm living in a "magazine house", if you get the reference. LOVE it. :bounce:
Gotta go flip the cheese again - have a great day!
This entry was originally posted at http://fiberaddict.dreamwidth.org/714716.html. Please comment there using OpenID.