Sister Sword of Desirable Mindfulness (fiberaddict) wrote,
Sister Sword of Desirable Mindfulness

Today's Soap...

I am excited! I made 3 batches of soap today, and tried a new technique. Brambleberry calls it "Impressionistic".....they use 3 condiment bottles to lay down lines of colored soap. Takes a LOT longer than my usual "in the pot swirl", but the look is *awesome* I wanted to try it.

Only, the thought of cleaning condiment bottles of saponifying soap just doesn't excite me. So, I brainstormed - what could I use to lay down thin lines of soap, that would be easier to clean than bottles?

Dollar General had some plastic measuring cups with very, very pointy spouts. :hmmmm: Only $1/ I grabbed 3. Weighed out my oils, put 1 oz in 2 of the cups (for pre-mixing my colors; I've been putting the powder in the bottom of the cup, and pouring the batter over it, then mixing it up. Works, but you sometimes get "spots". Pre-mixing is supposed to prevent that.), and started the soap-making process. Added the lightly mixed batter to the cups (1 brown, 1 yellow, and 1 natural), mixed the colors in (slight miscalculation; my KA stick blender just *barely* fits in these cups. Ooops!), then started pouring.

I didn't get lines, I got straight blobs. :lol: Still, it looked cool, so I kept going - 1 pour natural, then yellow, then brown......lightly swirled the top, and this is what I have right now:

It's GORGEOUS. Hope the inside looks as nice - because the top looks like what I had in my head. It smells divine, too - Sandalwood. It was a request......they'll have to understand when I don't send the full batch. :lol: (I want to send it to other testers, as well, to see if the scent appeals to lots of people. *I* like it.....but that doesn't mean others will.)

I also made a large batch of Oatmeal, Milk, and Honey soap (you can see the mold next to the Sandalwood) - it's popular. And a batch of Rosehip-Jasmine....right now, it's ugly. And smells like Tea Rose :gag: Hope it settles down...because I can't STAND Tea Rose. :blech: That one was another new swirl attempt.....we'll see. I laid down a layer of natural, then gently tried to lay the rose layer on top, without sinking any. After I had it all in, I took a spoon and...this is hard to explain; I stuck the spoon in the bottom of the mold and gently "lifted" the bottom layer to the top, then moved over and did it again. And again. We'll see....

Tomorrow I get to unmold and cut...but I might wait until Thursday, to give it time to firm up more. Lately, it's been soft when I unmold it....I want the Sandalwood to be nice and firm so I don't ruin the bars.

I need to nag SG into making the boxes for my new small molds (same size as these green ones). This is the perfect size for experiments - 8 bars worth of soap. I have 2 new molds.....I like how they feel; if they work, I'll be buying more. I'd prefer to spend 1 day making a whole lotta soap, instead of spending an hour EVERY day making soap. Since it takes 4 weeks to gotta make a lot at once. (And if we're not here, or I don't go into the soap business, my family and friends won't need to purchase any more soap for....well, YEARS. :lol:)

This entry was originally posted at Please comment there using OpenID.
Tags: pictures, soap

  • Just FYI

    So, the FDA has approved Pfizer’s Comirnaty vaccine. This is NOT the one currently being administered (that one is Biotech), but it doesn’t matter.…

  • July Update

    I seem to be on a once-a-month update schedule here.......:shrug: Works for me. We got quite a bit done this month - mostly sewing. I have filled…

  • June Recap and Photo catch-up

    Because I've been a busy little Fiberaddict. :lol: I can't remember when I actually sewed up some of these, so I'll just post them. I do remember the…

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.