?

Log in

No account? Create an account
 

Post a comment - Random babblings of a fiber-obsessed nutcase

About Post a comment

Update thingy.... May. 3rd, 2015 @ 12:52 pm
First, new count:

doelings: 3
bucklings: 1 (+1 dead)

Zoe gave us a BEAUTIFUL brown and white doeling, and Annie had a pretty (but, unfortunately) dead black buckling. I'm kinda glad it was this way, though - bucklings are hard to sell. (We're keeping May Flowers, because, well, she's GORGEOUS.)

Now, story of my stupidity

OK. So, Wednesday Himself asked for waffles. I can do waffles! I got all the ingredients out while he cleaned the waffle iron, then mixed up the batter. He suddenly decides that "Hey! Bacon (beef, of course) would go GREAT with waffles!"; I say "Well, OK, but *I* can't cook both at the same time. Either YOU do the bacon, or choose which one will be cold and re-heated."

He chose to cook the bacon. In a skillet.

So......he puts the last of the pound of bacon in the pan, and decides that "Hey! Eggs would ALSO be good! I can do eggs! In the grease!" O....K. I point out that a 12", deep, Texas skillet is probably now what he needs to cook 2 scrambled eggs in; he says OK, he'll use the 6" pan. Cool. I put the next-to-last waffle in the iron and quickly wipe out the smaller pan for him. He finishes the bacon - the grease is about 3/4" deep in the large pan - which he is NOT using for eggs - so I automatically grab a Pyrex bowl and pour the grease into it. The waffle iron goes off, so I drop the pan in the sink and go re-boot the waffles. (Last one!)

He puts butter in the pan and starts mixing up his eggs. "Oh. I forgot - I want grease in the eggs." "No problem!" I say. "I'll just pour some into the pan!".

Um. I had forgotten that we had JUST poured off the grease, and that glass bowls transfer heat really, really well.

I grabbed the bowl in my right hand, in "pouring" position (i.e.: fingers in bowl, above the liquid, heel of hand and thumb on outside of bowl), and lifted it. I suddenly realized that HEY! This is HOT!!! and started to DROP. THE. BOWL. I realized that this was bad, because a) Himself was RIGHT THERE, and b) grease splatters.....so I quickly grabbed the bowl with my right hand, dunking my fingers INTO the hot grease. :head desk:

I managed to get the grease to the counter without splashing it everywhere (just some on the floor - which the dogs cleaned up, along with the eggs - my elbow bumped Himself in my gyrations to NOT splatter him - and some on the counter as I slammed it down, because HOT! BURN! HOT HOTHOTHOTOMGTHISISHOT!!!)

SG came in the door about this time, saw me at the sink running cold water over my hand and cussing like a sailor, and said "What happened?" Herself filled him in, he asked how bad, and I said "ER. Now." I HATE our ER - they are incompetent at the best of times - so he KNEW it was bad.

The burns could have been worse. I had a bowl of water with an ice pack with me that I kept my hand in, and they got me into a room right away. It had a sink, so I kept refilling the bowl with fresh, cold water. The (stupid) nurse decided that saline solution was better than plain water (hint: it's NOT)....THAT wasn't fun. They did tell me I did the right thing by pulling my ring off (even though it hurt like the dickens) - my fingers had swollen enough that they would have had to cut it off, otherwise (it's a Celtic Knot ring, not very valuable, but it has a lot of sentimental value. I didn't want it cut.)

The pain was bad enough that I *begged* for meds - even though I am allergic to them. They gave me a Vicodin and 2 Benadryl tablets - neither one worked. :sigh: It didn't touch the pain, and I itched all night long. :big sigh:

I had to try and sleep with my hand in a bucket of ice water....not fun, and very little sleep was had. I finally got some relief by using ice-cold Aloe Vera "after sun" creme on the burns, then dunking my hand in the icey-ist cold water I could get. The Sivadene cream they gave me burned Wednesday night, but felt good Thursday. I threw out the directions - "apply 2x/day"- and went with "Apply liberally whenever it hurts". :lol:

I took some photos on Friday - *I* can't really see the burns, but wanted to share anyway:

burn ring finger

burn pinkie pad

burn pinkie

burn middle finger

God is GOOD, however - Saturday morning I had a large blister on the pad of my pinkie. Today? It's GONE. It's a little tender, but NO BLISTER. I popped a small blister at the base of my pinkie, and I have 2 more forming - 1 on the pinkie knuckle and 1 on the ring finger knuckle (which....just popped itself. :sigh:); oh, and it looks like I have some more forming on the middle finger (at least 2, I think)....BUT. There is no pain. A little stiffness, and I can't use warm water in a shower, but NO PAIN. I've decided to not worry, and just be thankful.

I have a very upset baby goat in the bathroom, and a doe due to pop any minute (I went ahead and induced Risky, because she has spent the last 3 days laying around and moaning. Yes, they'll be a few days (6) early. No, I'm not worried - I want a healthy milker, babies are just a bonus. :sigh: And me with only 1 good hand.........



This entry was originally posted at http://fiberaddict.dreamwidth.org/837405.html. Please comment there using OpenID.
Current Location: command center
Current Mood: tiredtired
spin a yarn: (Read Comments)

No HTML allowed in subject

 
When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed. You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use
   
 

Notice! This user has turned on the option that logs IP addresses of anonymous posters. 

(will be screened)

Top of Page Powered by LiveJournal.com