Sister Sword of Desirable Mindfulness (fiberaddict) wrote,
Sister Sword of Desirable Mindfulness
fiberaddict

Sewing a dress: Part 1

So. Here we go, attempting my very first dress. Of course, I can't choose an EASY pattern to start with, now can I? No, no - I need to choose 1 that has cut-outs and inserts. :bangs head: Ah, well - I tend to jump in feet first, so why change now?

I decided I'd do this "right" - first I'd fit the pattern, to see what changes I needed to make, then I'd make a muslin (using old sheets....um, yeah. We'll talk about *that* in a moment!) and make any changes to IT, then add them to the pattern, THEN I'd cut the "real" fabric for the actual dress.

Yes, it's a lot of work. I want this dress to *fit*, so...it needs to be done.

Anyway.

First off, I traced the pattern onto medical exam paper. I pinned the front and back together, and tried them on Cat:

dress - pattern fitting front

dress - pattern fitting

Judging from this, it looks like the bodice actually *fits*. The skirt part will need work. I'm not 100% sure, though, because of those cut-outs (I tried pinning the inserts together, and pinning that piece into place, but it didn't work that well.)

So, I un-pinned everything, laid out the old sheet, and started cutting:

dress - cutting fabric

First up: I decided to cut both backs and both fronts out at the same time. It *should* have worked, and it would have saved time. Unfortunately, this sheet is a slinky bit of hell - the fabric shifts, and moves, and STRETCHES. :bangs head: So, both fronts ended up not matching (ditto the backs. :sigh:) Note made - I will cut the fronts and backs out individually when I get to the "real" fabric.

I did lay the pattern pieces back down and trimmed the fabric, but the pieces weren't 100%. I figure, they're close enough for this...I hope.

I took the parts to my machine, set it on the basting stitch (6 stitches to the inch), and sewed it up. Problem: I am used to quilting, where you use a 1/4" seam allowance. This? Has a 5/8" seam allowance...and it just looks HUGE to me. I get *why* you want more fabric in the seam allowance...but I foresee a LOT of french seams in my future. Or slightly more ease in my clothing. :lol: (1/4" on both sides will give me almost 1/2" EXTRA ease - not something you really want. :sigh:) I tried to use the seam guide on the faceplate, but if I quit staring at it like a manic, I reverted to trying to shrink it to 1/4". I need to work on this.

So. Please forgive the sloppy sewing of the inserts - I'm honestly not sure I sewed them in correctly. Again, this is just for sizing purposes - I will do it right on the real thing. (And - I already know I really need to re-do this in a heavier woven, NON-slip fabric. So...this exercise ended up being kind of pointless, from a fitting point of view. Oh, well...)

dress - form front

dress - form back

Again, it appears that the bodice works as-is. Might need a little tightening, but I'm OK with the fit right now. (Also again, I will be re-cutting it out of a heavier sheet....and I have on my list MUSLIN. One of the outlets we'll be going to soon has a deal - buy the bolt, get it for $1.25/yard. I think I need to invest in a bolt of muslin/lightweight cotton. This? Was an exercise in futility and frustration!)

Now, there are a few wrinkles on both front and back, but they smooth right out - I *think* it's the slinky hell-fabric clinging to the cover on Cat, and not something off with the fit. Again, I'll be re-doing this in different fabric.....

I have a photo of the dress on me, but...I'm not posting it. It looks almost exactly like the dress on Cat, only it's me, and....I don't wanna. :lol:

I need to think about the skirt.....I think I need to grade the pattern up to the next few sizes in the hip area (even though the size I chose MATCHED my hip measurement.....not sure what's up with that, but whatever. I was pretty sure I was going to have to re-vamp, anyway - I'm hard to fit.). I'm also not sure about the fit in the waist - I'll re-trace the pattern, up-sizing the hips, and cut it out of the other sheet before I make any determination.

SG bought me a different rotary cutter, which should make cutting weird shapes easier (the one I have is an older one, that has a.......guard? thingy around the handle. I can't cut curves with it - the handle-guard thingy makes it hard to maneuver. Straight lines? I can do those like a champ! But curves? Nope. The new one has just a knife-handle, and a smaller blade. We'll see if it helps.....

So! Back to the drawing board for me. Good thing I'm thinking of this as experience, huh? :lol:

Feel free to offer advice - unless it's about the color choices. :snicker: These were the sheets I had on hand, and I know the fabrics don't go together. And I HATE florals (SG said "Oh, I like this fabric! It'll be pretty as a dress!" :bangs head:), which is why I'm not upset with the failure. It got rid of the floral fabric! That makes it a win in my book! :lol:

This entry was originally posted at http://fiberaddict.dreamwidth.org/844114.html. Please comment there using OpenID.
Tags: pictures, sewing
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

    Error

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 0 comments