Sister Sword of Desirable Mindfulness (fiberaddict) wrote,
Sister Sword of Desirable Mindfulness
fiberaddict

Photos- so you can see how productive I was!

:heh: before I got sick, anyway. I'll put the behind a cut, since I have *11* photos to share!



These first 2, you've already seen, but it was flat, not ON a body. I put them on Kat today so you can see how they fit:

Sewing - blue plaid top

Sewing - cherry top

Here's a closeup of the sleeve treatments - I have a point to make. :lol:

Sewing - cherry sleeve

This is the "flutter sleeve" version. I like it, but I think the cherry fabric is a bit stiff for this. Still, it works, it's cute, and it's actually kinda flattering on.

Sewing - bias tape bad

This is the sleeveless version - I used the machine to attach the bias tape, and....well, it's UGLY. It works, but I'm not happy with it. I'm not UNhappy enough to rip and re-do; this is a hang-out-around-the-house-because-it's-hot top. Still....

Here's the 3rd and 4th tops; I finished them this week:

Sewing - purple plaid top

Same as the blue plaid, only this is a purple version. The fabric has a sort of "bubble" woven in; it's very cool and airy. I did the bias tape the "right" way this time; I machine sewed it on the inside, then flipped it and hand-sewed it down on the front. Look at the difference:

Sewing - bias perfect

MUCH better - more work, but...I think it's worth it. I'll be doing this from now on...in fact, I just bought a complete set of bias-tape makers off of eBay (direct from China...yeah, but ALL the ones in the local stores are from China. I'm just saving a TON of money on them by buying direct. Yeah, I have to wait...but the savings? I got 4 for $9. Hobby Lobby wants a minimum of $6 EACH. I'm in no rush....)

Sewing - linen top

This top is from the leftovers from Dress #4. The bias tape along the neckline...well, it was machine-sewn. Need I say more? :sigh: Again, it's not worth it to ME to re-do it, but I'll be doing it correctly from now on. And see how the sleeve sits? This fabric is a bit softer, and drapes much better.

Now, Dresses! # 3 and #4 of the 1944 Housedress from Decades of Style:

Sewing - indigo dress full

This one has turned out to be my favorite (so far) - the fabric is one of the $5/bolt ones. I LOVE this dress - I've already worn it 3 times, and it's going to get a LOT more wear. I have about 10 yards of this fabric left.....I'm working on the 1950's Diamond dress (again...more on THAT in a bit) for this fabric, in fact!

Sewing - indigo dress

Closeup of the fabric. It feels like a linen-blend, with maybe a little bit of spandex/lycra - it's just slightly stretchy. It's a little rough, like a nubbly-linen weave, but I honestly have no idea of the fiber content. I changed the neckline to a more sweetheart one, and I LOVE it. Once again with the machine-sewn bias tape.......ah, well. Live and learn! The buttons were from the stash - I thought the metal gave it a bit of a blue jean vibe. Oh, and the pockets are square this time.

And, dress #4:

Sewing - linen dress

This is my favorite of the fabrics - it's a linen/rayon blend. LOVE it - it's so soft, and light, and airy. When I saw the fabric, I had visions of tea parties and garden parties and soft summer evenings....why yes, I DO have an active imagination! :lol:

Sewing - linen dress closeup

Yes, it's a floral print, but I actually like it - it's not overbearing. Just sweet. The pink was a nice touch - I would have preferred a soft blue, but the pink was in the stash. The buttons are old; they don't feel like plastic, but they are definitely some sort of plastic/resin. I did the same neck as on the indigo one, and left the pockets off (again with the garden party idea. Don't need pockets at a party!) I need a pretty sunhat now, and some lacy gloves. :lol:

And yes, I am going to attempt the Diamond dress again. I gave it a lot of thought while sewing the last 2 1944 dresses; I think one of the problems I was having was because I was trying to OVER fit it. This is another housedress - it's supposed to fit loosely, not snugly. And I checked the finished measurements....it looks like it's the same size/ease as the 1944 dress, which means I don't need to Frankenstein it.

So. I have re-traced the pattern, in a size 40 (same as the 1944 dress). I am concerned about the insets, but am going to take it SLOW. Yes, I am doing a muslin, but I THINK the only thing I need to do is a sway-back adjustment. Still, muslin. I REALLY want to get this pattern nailed, because I want 1 in the indigo fabric (with the dark blue contrast), I want one in the original black cherry with green, and 1 in the brown paisley fabric I have, with.....maybe a soft orange or old gold contrast.

Off to cut the muslin...wish me luck!

This entry was originally posted at http://fiberaddict.dreamwidth.org/849539.html. Please comment there using OpenID.
Tags: 1944, blather, dress, pictures, sewing, top
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

    Error

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 0 comments