So......I've been a little busy, this week. Sometimes, you just have to quit trying and DO it, y'know?
I started on this dress way back in June. I quit after the 4th muslin, because I was fed up. Decades of Style offered some suggestions, but I needed some time away from it to try and work things out in my head. A couple of weeks ago, I decided to try again.
Muslin 5 and 6 still didn't work (or maybe it was 6 and 7 - I honestly lost count). The inset still didn't work. I contacted DoS again - and folks, I have to say that their customer service is TOP NOTCH. She tried everything she could to help me out, even sending me a diagram of how the inset and pocket were supposed to fit (which led me to sew them together differently from how the instructions said.)
I finally said heck with it, and cut the "real" fabric. When I got to the inset portion, I did my own thing - I put the dress face down on my cutting table, and laid the inset piece face down on top of it. I matched up the pocket sides and bottom and pinned them, then carefully pinned the inset to the dress. I picked up the edge of the dress and the edge of the inset, and pinned them, then basted them into place. When I picked it up to look at it, it looked correct. I then sat down at the machine and sewed the seams. There's an extra inch or 2 of the inset fabric at the top, but at this point, I don't care. The cuffs are too short - I'm not sure if I cut the wrong size, or if it's drafted wrong; I had to pleat the excess sleeve into them, and they're a little too tight on my arm. It's also a little bit too long - I am going to take about an inch out of the dress skirt before cutting out the next one.
I have a dress!!!!!!! :lol:
I'll start on the cherry dress Sunday. I am SO excited!
Shabbat Shalom! See ya on Sunday!
This entry was originally posted at http://fiberaddict.dreamwidth.org/851440.html. Please comment there using OpenID.