1. "Undocumented" people (fancy word that = Illegal, FYI) BRAGGING about their status. Um. Let's discuss this: if you are "undocumented", that means that you are here illegally, which - logically! - means that you broke the law to get here, which means (again, logically!) - you are a criminal. It doesn't matter WHY you broke the law, you are a criminal! I can, sort of, extend a bit of pity for the kids - they didn't come here on their own, BUT........if you are 18 or older, and here illegally, you need to jump through the hoops and correct this. If you don't....well, you are a law-breaker and should be dealt with accordingly. (And I think that there should be some way for them to legally become a citizen - it wasn't their idea to come here illegally, it was their parent's. Do I have any ideas on how to implement such a system? No......but surely someone can come up with one.)
America is a *law-based* country (contrary to popular belief). Our Constitution is the basis for our laws. Don't like it? You don't have to stay. Want to stay? Get legal! Yes, I have a horse in this race - my grandparents/great-grandparents immigrated LEGALLY from Austria in the late 1800's. They jumped through all the hoops.....so YOU can, too.
2. Signs that read "Impeach Trump!". Um. You can't impeach someone who a) isn't a sitting President and b) hasn't done anything illegal. (What in the world are they teaching kids in public school these days? Seriously - this is concerning!). All he has proposed (but not actually tried to DO, yet!) is uphold the laws of our country....which is something he SWEARS he'll do in the Presidential Oath of Office (which, BTW, the current President ALSO swore to do.....but has merrily ignored throughout the last 8 years.) (The Oath, BTW, says "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States." I'm just going to leave it at that........)
Clinton, on the other hand......has already been accused of violating (fancy word = breaking) at least *9* federal laws:
US Code # 798 - Disclosure of classified information
US Code # 1031 - Major fraud against the United States
US Code # 371 - Conspiracy to commit a federal offense
US Code # 1924 - Unauthorized removal and retention of classified documents or material
US Code # 2071(b) - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
US Code #1343 - Fraud by wire, radio or television
US Code #1505 - Obstruction of proceedings before departments, agencies, and committees
US Code #1519 - Destruction, alteration, or falsification of records in federal investigations
US Code #793 - Gathering, transmitting or losing defense information
She's already violated the Oath of Office, but hey! She hadn't sworn it, so....(Oh! The original duties of the Secretary of State included preserving the laws of the United States domestically. Guess it's a "good" thing that particular duty has been transferred elsewhere, huh?)
3. Protests. I can't even......how many protests were there when Obama was elected? Or, more to the point, how many *violent* protests were there? I'll wait......oh, yeah - None. Why? Because most of the CITIZENS who voted against him are realists. We, the People had spoken, "our" guy lost, so we got on with our lives. However, now that the shoe is on the other foot.......sore losers, much? Just stop - it makes you look like spoiled brats that got their toys taken away. :shakes head: Also........you are aware that destroying other people's property is against the law, right? So.....Clinton loses, and Clinton supporters perform criminal acts. Way to go!
And I've seen things online - people telling other
4. The Electoral College. I have to admit, I was leaning toward trying to abolish this, until I did some research. (And no - it's not because "my" guy won; I didn't vote FOR anyone, I voted AGAINST.) The way the Constitution is written is that the people do NOT elect the President, the STATES do. The electoral college is set up such that it equalizes the State's vote - the people vote in the state, then the STATE votes via the Electoral College. Some states are winner takes all; some split the Electoral vote. Now that I have a better understanding of the "how", I agree with the Founders - it's the most fair way to do this. Otherwise, a few states would run roughshod over the rest, and we would no longer be a nation where "we, the People" make the decisions - it would be "we, the States of California, Texas, New York....."
4.a. On the "so close" thing.......I wonder if, if all the votes from undocumented people were thrown out (because, hate to tell you this - ONLY citizens are LEGALLY allowed to vote. Which is why I am FOR Voter ID laws - it's not hard to get an ID. If you're here illegally, well then - you LEGALLY can NOT vote, and the subject should be moot.)...if the numbers would have been so close. And if you're elected only because of illegal votes......were you REALLY elected? Stuff to think about.......
5. General stuff. One thing everybody needs to remember: TANSTAAFL. Or, in English: There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch. NOTHING is free. I don't care what Bernie promised ("free" college. :snerk:) - NOTHING is free. SOMEONE has to pick up the tab at some point - or do you want to try and convince me that the college professors will work for free? OK.....so how will they pay for their groceries/rent/vehicle/clothing/etc? Or.....will all that be provided? By who - will they be giving away all this? How will they (the providers) survive? And.....how with the electric company be paid for the electricity to power the lights/heat/etc? Or will that simply be donated, too? Where does it stop?
Because if you think that all this should be donated......then you are saying that NO ONE should be paid for the work that they do. It's the trickle-down theory at work; if you think college should be free, then - logically! - EVERYTHING should be free. Which means that YOU will need to donate YOUR time at a job to help keep all the freebies flowing.......or else the system breaks down. And how many people would be willing to work at a fast food/retail job for no pay? And it would have to be for no pay, or....the system breaks down. How can a company afford to "donate" all it's goods to college campuses/employees and still be able to pay workers? That makes no logical sense at all.
Look, I don't know how things are going to shake out. I DO know it's going to get worse for a bit - change always makes things worse before it gets better! Think about it - when you are deep-cleaning your house, what happens? You start with a mess. You start pulling things out to clean behind/under them...which makes things worse, right? Then you start putting things back, rearranging them.....it takes time to get things back in order, but when you're done it was all worth it, right?
THAT'S what we're looking at. In the short-term, it's going to suck. But long-term? I really, really hope Trump follows our laws, because that's the only way America will get back on track. And it's going to take a lot of work - a lot of damage has been done over the past 8 years - some purposefully, some not.
So. Do what I 8 years ago. Pull your big-kid pants on, and do what you can to heal the wounds of the Nation. Start by acting like responsible adults - stop destroying other people's property just because your candidate lost. We're better than this........or should be.
This entry was originally posted at http://fiberaddict.dreamwidth.org/879931.html. Please comment there using OpenID.