We went to visit FIL yesterday; not only did he love my Betty, I got complimented by a total stranger, too! I had Herself take some photos while we were at FIL's, so I guess I'll do a proper review:
The pattern is Sew Over It's "Betty" Dress, based on a 1950's design. I sewed a straight 18, even though my measurements put me in a 16 (more on that in a minute). Because they are a UK company, I had to get the pdf version and print it at home (then use 2 full tape dispensers to assemble it.)
I had a few issues with the print out. The first few rows went together perfectly; the last few.....not so much. Since I trace off my size, it was no big deal - I simply moved the tracing paper to ensure everything was lined up. The sizes are well marked, and easy to trace/cut.
The instructions were clear. No photos, but good line drawings of the steps. I had a few problems - I can't do under stitching very well - need practice), and turning the facing and bodice right side out and sewing up the seams....was difficult. I ended up ripping and hand-sewing the small openings left for turning right-side out. MY problems - not the pattern's!
Anyway. I first traced off the 16, then pin-fit it to Kate. It didn't fit - the front was about 0.5" off center, and the back seam was about 1" off...making it approx. 3" too narrow. :scratches head: So, I went back, traced off the 18, and whipped up a muslin.
The muslin - which I sewed up in a thin muslin - still appeared to be a bit tight, but I just couldn't see going up 1 more size, so I soldiered on. You saw the almost finished dress on Kate, but now - I give you the finished dress:
It's a little too loose - the pattern description says it's supposed to be close-fitting, and nip in the waist. Mine.....is loose. I can pinch a good 2" out of the waist (should have trusted the measurements!), and about 1" - 2" out of the bust. The shoulders are a bit broad - I pinned them to my bra straps to both hide the straps AND help hold them up.
All that being said, I LOVE this dress! It's comfy, it's cool, and it's perfect for the upcoming summer heat. And the skirt is all twirly-whirly! :lol:
I have a few more planned. I'm trying to get my hands on the add-on pack (sleeves and different necklines) so I can change it up, but the original is hard to beat. I *think* I'm going to retrace the bodice; do the 16 for the neck and shoulders, blending to an 18 under the arm, then blending back to the 16 from the bust dart to the waist. I'll sew up the fashion fabric, to see how it fits - that way I'm only out maybe 1 yard if it doesn't fit right. :lol:
The plumber AND the concrete guys showed up today. The hole is GONE! And the Master Bath has been demolished. Tomorrow AM the new tub will be set in place, and the water pipes moved...then I get to paint and tile. Fun times!!
This entry was originally posted at http://fiberaddict.dreamwidth.org/893248.html. Please comment there using OpenID.