1. The cold cream I made is actually a slightly expensive, very luscious wood wax. :lol: When I was looking for beeswax substitutes, every site I found said that candelilla wax was the best. Only.....they didn't think to mention that it wasn't a 1:1 sub. Candelilla wax is 2x as stiff as beeswax, so it should be used at 0.5:1. The 2nd batch I made is WONDERFUL. It's pulling out all sorts of blemishes, without breaking me out. And my countertops LOVE the 1st batch, so....win/win!
2. Herself is now *20*. Not sure HOW that happened.......her party was Sunday, and it was good.
3. The milking machine is da bomb! I got the husband to order a 2nd set of inflations, so I can milk 2 goats at a time (:sigh: He wanted to "save money". I want to save my wrists and time. HE doesn't milk - he "helps", 3x/week - so it's not important to him. I told him Sunday evening that if he could spend $$$$ on things we DO NOT NEED (drones/home security/video games/etc) then, by golly, he could spend $$ for ME to be in less pain. We should have ordered a 2 goat set-up to begin with, but...oh, well. We have one Now - the stuff came in today; I placed the order early Monday morning.)
3a. Yes, we have another machine - a reconditioned Surge belly milker (cow) that had been retro-fitted for goats. We needed to replace the clusters and hoses anyway (you do that every year), and the vacuum pump was DOA. I have HATED the Surge bucket from day 1; I requested we just replace the whole shebang this year, since we had the funds to do so. The new lid actually fits on my large tote; I've been milking directly into it and using the "real" pail for clean-up.
Anyway, the Surge bucket is heavy (25+ pounds), and it's awkward for people with.....busts. It's hard to move it around, it's hard to pour the milk out of.......and that lid doesn't fit anything else. The new bucket is......well. It's only 10 pounds, and it holds 7.8 gallons. I don't NEED 7.8 gallons, but this bucket is a lot easier to move around.
I am very grateful to have this new setup. I went from hand milking 7 goats, at 1.25 hours/2x day, to machine milking 7 goats, 1 at a time, at 20 minutes/2x day. I'm thinking the 2nd set-up will get me done in 10 or so minutes.......this is good. My wrists thank me already. :lol:
3b. I spent some time in the Studio sewing up some covers for the inflations and lid and bucket. I need to make 1 for the pump, but that will wait a few days. We're waiting on the surveyors to come out so we can (finally!) purchase our neighbor's back 8 acres; we'll be buying a new doe barn and dropping it over there. I can't wait - no more leaks! And more room! The baby goats are looking forward to that! :lol: (And...I need to get photos of them. :sigh:)
4. The house is almost put back together! Himself emptied out the Music/Game room on Monday; there are 7 boxes left (not counting the boxes the husband has to go thru.) The first pod has only furniture in it; the 2nd pod is mostly......well, junk. I will try to go thru those next week, so we can get rid of them. :happy:
5. Husband's job seems to be going well. I'm glad - he's out of the house! :lol:
Think that brings us up to date.....
This entry was originally posted at http://fiberaddict.dreamwidth.org/900895.html. Please comment there using OpenID.